Kick up the flavor as you expand your culinary skill and become a confident chef as you learn how to cook. We will learn the basic skills of preparing foods for a healthy, balanced diet and ways to integrate healthful cooking into everyday life. We will also increase our awareness of the food supply chain and consumer responsibility by engaging in projects that cover topics such as food policy, food safety, and waste.
Students may participate in activities such as:
- preparing and tasting foods like frittatas, and pastries and favorites like cinnamon buns, mac & cheese, stir fry and chocolate cake.
- preparing breakfasts, lunches and dinners
- exploring the world of vegetables and grains
- baking and creating and desserts
- exploring foods of the various regions of Canada including some multicultural foods.
This is a “hands-on” course so class participation and enthusiasm are essential for success. Come with a willingness to work with others and explore the world of food.
Please note: This course is taught in conjunction with Food Studies 9 and cycles through a curriculum that allows students to take both courses.